Bound Threads

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 17 17:06:25 EST 2003

| Now, what I don't like about my proposal and your proposal is
| that the user has to be aware of OS threads when making
| foreign calls by wrapping it in "threadSafe" or adding
| "threadsafe" sometimes -- but maybe that is unavoidable.

Actually, the proposal currently on the table, which no one has objected
to, is

	* abolish the distinction between "safe" and "threadsafe"
	* make "safe" the default (it already is)

So the user needs to do something special only if she wants to
do something unsafe (by adding "unsafe" to the foreign import).