freeHaskellFunPtr

Alastair Reid reid at cs.utah.edu
Mon Jun 17 09:05:34 EDT 2002

This looks fairly delicate and might have consequences for debuggers
(which tend to keep things on the stack around after a proper
tailcalling implementation (or whatever) would have dumped it).

It seems like your example could be handled by calling the free
function in the Haskell code that invokes the C code that invokes the
callback:

  foreign import enumThingies :: Thingies
                              -> (FunPtr (Thingy -> IO ()))
                              -> IO ()

  printThingies xs = do
    cb <- makeCB (\ x -> printThingy xs x)  --   <- the callback
    enumThingies xs cb                      --   <- the C function
    freeHaskellFunPtr cb

How much worse would it be to write your code in this way?
I'd prefer not to commit all future implementations to working
a particular way unless there's a compelling need.

--
Alastair

Sven: