Library archives

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 17 04:31:39 EDT 2002

| The package system provided by GHC and NHC provides an
| alternate place where libraries could be specified.  Can
| someone familiar with packages and with Hugs comment on
| whether they'd be able to replace the ffi's library spec and
| would make sense for typical Hugs usage. And would that meet
| SimonPJ's need too?

I honestly don't know, but I don't think it's worth bending the design
to accommodate something we aren't actively doing and don't
fully understand (ie. a .NET ffi).

However, I *believe* that the square bracket part is like the module
name in a Haskell qualified name... it says where the name comes
from.  It makes sense to be able to specify that on a call-by-call
basis.  Two different libraries might have a procedure with the
same name, and you might want to import both into the same FFI
interface.