Library archives

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 11 02:46:18 EDT 2002

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote,

> > I see a lot of discussion about header files.
> > I see a small amount of discussion of libraries with many conflicting
> > suggestions.
> > I see no _conclusion_.
>
> Ok, I can't see the conclusion either, but I seem to recall that at one
> stage the library specs were removed from the spec altogether and only
> came back again because of .NET

Correct.

> (no, I'm not sure why they're in the C section of the FFI
> spec either).

Because they are for implementing calls to C code in Haskell
that is compiled to .NET ILX.

This doesn't mean that I want to necessarily defend them,
but this was the reason for their inclusion.  Essentially,
SimonPJ was saying that to compile Haskell including "foreign
import ccall"s to .NET ILX, we need the library spec.

I am not too fussed about .NET, so don't mind if we nuke the
[lib] specs (as Alastair already did in the CVS version of
the spec).