[Haskell & FP in Education] Welcome and introductions

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 03:26:30 UTC 2018

Hi all!  I'm Brent Yorgey.  I am actively involved in the Haskell academic
and open-source communities and I teach CS at Hendrix College in Conway,
Arkansas, USA.

> - What education-related projects are you involved in, or have you been
> involved in previously?

I have taught several college-level classes using Haskell: my (semi-famous)
"CIS 194" course at U Penn, a general FP course, and a programming
languages course.  I am also developing a new functional teaching language
<https://github.com/disco-lang/disco> for use in a discrete math course
(I'll be sure to write more about it on this list in time).  I am also
particularly motivated to think about FP in K-12 education because my son
is 7 years old and shows great aptitude for and enjoyment of computers and
mathematics; pretty soon it's going to be time to introduce him to some
basic functional programming, possibly using CodeWorld and/or my discrete
math functional teaching language.  (It's not quite time yet though because
his typing skills are not good enough; he has done a bit of programming
with blocks-based languages e.g. on code.org, but I'm not aware of any
*functional* block-based languages.  If you know of any, please let me
know!)

I don't think I have any particular responses to the other questions off
the top of my head, but I look forward to engaging in conversation and
hearing what others are up to and thinking about.

-Brent