[Haskell & FP in Education] Welcome and introductions

Conrad Cunningham hcc.olemiss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 01:10:34 UTC 2018

 Chris Smith> - What education-related projects are you involved in, or
have you been involved in previously?

I have taught elective courses in functional programming using Haskell,
Scala, or Elixir to advanced undergraduate or beginning graduate students
in a US public university. My students typically have programming
experience in an imperative language such as Java, with no exposure to
functional programming previously.

Recently I have taught a junior/senior-level required core course in
Programming Languages primarily using Haskell.

Chris Smith> - What other projects do you find exciting, intriguing, or
worthy of emulation?
Chris Smith> - On the other hand, what projects or conversations should be
happening, but are not happening yet?
Chris Smith> - Is there anything specific that you are definitely looking
for from this space?

Although there have come to be quite a few books on functional programming
that use one language or another, there are not many real textbooks
suitable for use in a college class. In particular, there is a scarcity of
textbook options for courses other than just programming---such as
algorithms and data structures, software engineering, programming language
organization, artificial intelligence, data science, etc.

Conrad