[database-devel] Welcome to database-devel!

Torsten Grust torsten.grust at gmail.com
Mon May 7 16:10:33 CEST 2012

Hi all,

just wanted to say `hi'.   We are the folks working on
Database-Supported Haskell (DSH on hackag
e [1]), a library
which allows you to continue to use the famililar list-processing
combinators -- or list comprehensions, for that matter --
when formulating database queries.[2]

Such expressions are compiled into a (small) group of cooperating
SQL  statements which effectively evaluate the expression over the
tables of an associated relational DBMS (these tables are thus
looked at as if they were lists of tuples).

We are always interested in growing the set of functions that
DSH understand as ``database-able''.  Further work is underway
to support arbitrary non-recursive algebraic datatypes in such
queries (based on GHC's generic deriving mechanism).

We're thus living on the ``don't embed literal SQL text into
your Haskell source at all'' end of the spectrum, somewhat distant
from postgresql-simple and friends, I guess.  Still, we're quite
interested where these other efforts go.

Cheers,
    --Torsten

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/DSH
[2] http://db.inf.uni-tuebingen.de/research/dsh