[database-devel] Welcome to database-devel!

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Mon May 7 12:26:43 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Leon Smith <leon.p.smith at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I should break the ice here;   we currently have 22
> subscribers,  with names I recognize from acid-state, mysql-simple,
> postgresql-simple, hssqlppp,  persistent,  and even PostgreSQL itself.   If
> I've missed anything relevant here,  please speak up.
>
> So the goal of this list is to help improve the state of database
> programming in Haskell;   I'm not picky about particular topics as long as
> they are of reasonable quality and relevant to database programming and
> Haskell.     This could be implementing a database in Haskell itself (like
> acid-state),  to interacting with traditional RDBMSes or newer NoSQL
> systems.
>
> My personal interest at the moment primarily lies at coming up with a good
> mid-level interface to RDBMSes along the lines of the -simple libraries,
> but I also have interest in an auto-pipelining client library for
> PostgreSQL,  which involves some very low-level details of the PostgreSQL
> frontend/backend protocol.  I'm also interested  in higher-level
> abstractions for dealing with relational databases in general,  but I
> really don't have well-formed opinions on how this should be done.
>
> Also while SQL can be cool,  it hides that coolness under a lot of
> syntactic (and some semantic) ugliness;  I often wish for a simpler, saner
> syntax,  replacing NULL with algebraic data types,   and a richer attribute
> types,  especially relationally valued attributes.
>
> So what you interested in?

Postgresql, pgsql-simple, and Ferry/DSH:)

more broadly, I'm looking for something that gives me type safety and
efficient joins - I've spent too much time coaxing ActiveRecord not to do
N+1 queries to start the whole process over in Haskell.

probably just a spectator here, though - I haven't implemented a database
in my life...

cheers
Mark

--
A UNIX signature isn't a return address, it's the ASCII equivalent of a
black velvet clown painting. It's a rectangle of carets surrounding a