Installation failed

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 30 13:57:24 UTC 2019

Dear Cabal developers
More woe:

simonpj at MSRC-3645512:~$ cabal install lhs2tex

Resolving dependencies...

Up to date

cabal: installdir is not defined. Set it in your cabal config file or use

--installdir=<path>
In the olden days, didn't cabal install by default in ~/.cabal/bin?
Never mind, let's do what it asks:

simonpj at MSRC-3645512:~$ cabal install lhs2tex --installdir=/usr/bin

Resolving dependencies...

Up to date

Symlinking 'lhs2TeX'

/usr/bin/lhs2TeX: createSymbolicLink: permission denied (Permission denied)
Darn: I need to be super-user.  Fine:

simonpj at MSRC-3645512:~$ sudo cabal install lhs2tex --installdir=/usr/bin

[sudo] password for simonpj:

cabal: unrecognized 'install' option `--installdir=/usr/bin'
OK _now_ I really am stumped.  It asked me to provide that option, and now it says it's unrecognised.
(This is in a bash shell running in emacs, if it makes a difference.)
What next?
Thanks
Simon