Anybody using the "top-down" solver?

Luite Stegeman stegeman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 21:27:48 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 4:30 AM Bardur Arantsson <spam at scientician.net>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just to get input from as many people as possible: I was pondering a
> plan for modularizing the solver[1] and wanted to reach as many people
> as possible with my question:
>
>    Is anybody is still using the top-down solver?

We use it for ghcjs-boot, which uses cabal-install to install the GHCJS
boot libraries in the global package db (ghc-prim, template-haskell, base,
ghcjs-prim, ghcjs-base and a bunch of other packages).

There is no fundamental reason that the topdown solver is required. We only
use it because the modular solver blacklists some packages that are risky
to install (like base, template-haskell). I'd be happy to switch to the
modular solver if there's a way to disable the blacklist.

https://github.com/ghcjs/ghcjs/blob/561365ba1667053b5dc5846e2a8edb33eaa3f6dd/src-bin/Boot.hs#L1030-L1056

luite