[patch] lincenses warning

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Sat Mar 7 20:43:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 12:50:19AM -0500, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> i'm very uncomfortable with the "warn on other-license" change. I think
> theres lots of valid reasons that someone may be using an amended license
> (eg BSD / MIT plus an explicit patent license grant) that strictly more
> open/free than any standard OSS license on the planet.

I had a brief chat with dcoutts on freenode/#hackage, he informed me
he would rather have the AllRightsReserved patch on hackage-server
(and only in the public server branch) rather than cabal.

dcoutts also expressed similar objections on OtherLicense's warning
(on the ground that dual licensing isn't supported by cabal yet, a
a legitimate usage of OtherLicense).

My view is that, with an expressive enough License datatype which covers
an ample portion of usages, the warning could still be pragmatically
useful ("do you really have a reason to draft a new document when there
is probably something tried and tested out there which could do for your
case?").

Thanks for sharing your opinion!