Release planning?

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 14 13:03:06 UTC 2015

Hi Mikhal

Thank you for stepping up to be the Cabal "chair".

|  Yes, there will be a release of Cabal/cabal-install together with GHC
|  8.

Can I ask what will be in it?  Specifically, I would love to know
what you plan concerning the issues in this snip:

| As I understand it, the idea is that for the GHC 8.0 release
| we will also have a new Haskell Platform.  And that new HP will
| not suffer from at least some of the flaws that have caused angst
| in the past.
|
| The message from Mark and Michael is attached, but it dates back
| to July.   Since then Mark has stood down, and Gershom has taken
| over (thanks Gershom).  So I have a number of questions
| •	Does the plan (attached) remain the same?
| •	What development work (if any) , in HP or Cabal or
|     stack, is needed to achieve that?  Is it done, or in
|     progress, or not started?
| •	GHC has for some time had the hooks to install multiple
|     instances of the same library without conflict, but Cabal
|     does not (or did not).  I know Duncan was planning to do
|     this.   Will the Cabal that comes with HP 8.0 have this ability?
|
| I ask because there is lots of traffic about getting GHC 8.0
| ready for release, but I haven’t seen any about HP or Cabal.
| Maybe I’m just not on the right mailing lists.
|
| Regardless, would it be worth some announcements so that the
| Haskell community knows the plan?   If I don’t know, probably
| many others do not.

I enclose three replies to that message, but the discussion
never converged to a conclusion.

Since then Gershom did send an update about the HP, also attached,
but that didn't cover Cabal.

Much of this this pre-dates when you became chair, so you won't
have seen it before, but you will be very familiar with the issues.
I'd love to know in more detail what you plan for Cabal and cabal-install,
esp concerning choices (1) and (2) outlined in Edward Yang's message attached.

thanks again

Simon