Removing GHC's dependency on Cabal

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:36:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Yuri de Wit <ydewit at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <
>> simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To me it seems simple and obvious!  Why are we going round the houses to
>>> do something so simple?
>>

>>  So cabal can maintain its conceit that it supports more than just ghc.
>>

> I don't understand this as an argument against the ghc-db library, which
> to me also seems the simple and obvious solution.

I did not say it was a *sane* conceit; and in fact my choice of wording
there was intended to bring it into question. My experience is Cabal and
cabal-install try to maintain this, but in a way that doesn't actually
accomplish the goal very well (see for example the abortive attempt at jhc
cabal support).