Getting Cabal 1.2[12] ready for GHC 7.10.1 RC1

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Tue Dec 2 16:13:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-02 08:53, Luite Stegeman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 7:40 PM, Bardur Arantsson <spam at scientician.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Mostly out of curiousity: is there *any* conceivable chance of getting
>> the GHCJS bits merged in? (I'm hoping/guessing the maintainer of GHCJS
>> is also on this list.)
>>

> Yes, I am on this list. A small part has already been merged, and there's a
> pull request for the changes in the package description and flags, which
> include the GHCJS compiler flavour. While discussing the patch with Duncan,
> we agreed that a few changes were in order, which I've made, I'll amend the
> pull request later today.
>
> What's left then is the backend itself. The changes there are only in the
> build system, so they don't touch the public API / file formats, but on the
> other hand they do touch quite a bit of code and require some restructuring
> of the GHC backend to allow some of the code to be reused without
> copy/pasting the whole backend (smaller customizations are required for
> ghc-pkg and haddock).
>
> I'm going to spend some time this week to submit the next part of the code,
> test it with my experimental GHC 7.10 branch of GHCJS. The important public
> changes have been discussed / prepared already, so it'll mostly come down
> to how well this code will stand up to scrutinization of the reviewers.

Thanks for the status update. Sounds like there may be exciting times
ahead for those of us who are forced to work on front ends as well as
backends!

(I've been experimenting a bit and GHCJS looks *really* promising for
frontend development, especially once the "tooling" support gets merged.)

Here's to hoping the reviewers will be kind! :)

Regards,