cabal sandbox and the dist directory

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 20:25:15 UTC 2014

I found the dist directory still being there a nice feature. For each
project I want to start I want the newest stuff, but some of my longer
running things tend to require older dependencies and I don't want to
have to upgrade. This means that I have multiple small project that
could share a 700MB sandbox, while my larger projects can have their
own.

What I do is use a single sandbox and symlink the cabal.sandbox.config
file in place. This means there is no .cabal-sandbox next to my code,
but there is a dist directory, which I use to run the executable and
inspect the build artifacts. [1]

Moving dist into cabal-sandbox would mean that I would have to either
symlink my dist in also, or use the full path to my sandbox location
every time I want to look at the build artifacts.

How would you easily share a sandbox between multiple projects if dist
is moved into the sandbox?

Greetings,

Bram

[1] I did:
mkdir project
mkdir cabal-sandbox
cd cabal-sandbox; cabal sandbox init
cd ../project
ln -s ../cabal-sandbox/cabal.sandbox.config