Feature Idea: --no-remote-fetching flag

Adam Foltzer acfoltzer
Tue Oct 8 17:40:22 UTC 2013

Hi Johan,

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like for there to be a both a command line flag and a
> ~/.cabal/config setting (there isn't one already, is there?)

Please let me know if this is the case! I have combed through the docs and
not found anything yet.

> Some people have previously expressed a desire for it on security grounds.

That's our motivation as well.

> P.S. We intend to have cabal build imply `cabal install
> --only-dependencies` when working in a sandbox in the future.

Would this cause `cabal build` to fetch dependencies if some are missing
locally? We'd want to see a similar way to disable that behavior for
security-sensitive environments as well. Reproducibility and isolation are
our primary concerns for certain projects.

Thanks!
Adam