What's next?

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 09:46:22 UTC 2013

Here's a status update.

## Faster builds

We've made good progress on making things faster. In particular, we've
implemented:

 * Re-linking avoidance (https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/1537). This
is really useful if you have e.g. many test suites and only one needs to be
rebuilt due to some change to the library.

 * Parallel builds at the module level (
https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/1536). This gives a modest speed-up
for `cabal build`, especially for larger packages.

## Do the right thing automatically

No progress here. Both tasks should be pretty straightforward. Anyone
interested in taking a stab at them? I'd be happy to provide guidance.

## Support large projects

We haven't yet made any progress on support for trees of packages. We're in
need of a design doc here before we can do much else.

There is some important work on freezing dependencies for releases under
way at https://github.com/haskell/cabal/pull/1519. That thread could
probably need some input for people other than me.

-- Johan