[Hackage] #933: cabal configure doesn't suggest cabal install --only-dependencies

Hackage cvs-ghc at haskell.org
Wed Mar 14 09:36:01 CET 2012

#933: cabal configure doesn't suggest cabal install --only-dependencies
  Reporter:  guest          |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  unknown        |   Ghcversion:
  Platform:                 |
Changes (by kosmikus):

  * milestone:  => cabal-install-0.16

 I'm a bit hesitant to add all these warnings and suggestions. For my
 taste, cabal is often already too noisy.

 So let's consider this situation: I think most people come into contact
 with cabal first via {{{cabal install}}}. Compiling packages locally is
 mainly interesting for developers. Can't we expect that package developers
 will already know about {{{cabal install}}}?

 As to the {{{--only-dependencies}}} flag. Perhaps I'm missing something,
 but I think I've never actually used it. Why should it suggest running
 that and not just suggest running {{{cabal install}}}?

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/933#comment:1>