[Hackage] #924: symlink-bindir does not play nice with program-suffix

Hackage cvs-ghc at haskell.org
Mon Mar 5 21:22:07 CET 2012

#924: symlink-bindir does not play nice with program-suffix
  Reporter:  guest               |        Owner:
      Type:  defect              |       Status:  new
 Component:  cabal-install tool  |      Version:  1.14.0
  Severity:  normal              |     Keywords:  symlink-bindir program-suffix
Difficulty:  unknown             |   Ghcversion:  7.4.1
  Platform:  Linux               |
 I'd expect symlinks to be created with the program-suffix.  Instead what
 happens is that cabal-install correctly suffixes the installed binary, but
 attempts to create a symlink to it from an unsuffixed name, which can fail
 if the unsuffixed name already exists in the symlink-bindir.

 ~ $ cabal --version
 cabal-install version 0.13.3
 using version 1.14.0 of the Cabal library

 gruff $ cabal install --program-suffix=-fixed
 Warning: could not create a symlink in /home/claude/opt/bin for gruff
 the file exists there already but is not managed by cabal. You can create
 symlink for this executable manually if you wish. The executable file has
 installed at /home/claude/.cabal/bin/gruff-fixed

 (The symlink already existed in this particular case, because I wanted to
 install my development program with a suffix to avoid clobbering the known
 working version.)

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/924>