patch: --enable-tests and --only-dependencies

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:40:22 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Thomas Tuegel <ttuegel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Andres Löh <andres at well-typed.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the patches. I'll take a closer look. One minor issue
>> that's rather unfortunate is that you need a (minor) change to Cabal,
>> not only cabal-install. For practical purposes, we're going to aim for
>> a cabal-install release in the not too distant future, but IMHO it
>> should work with the Cabal version that's shipped with ghc-7.4.1 and
>> not require another upgrade there.
>
> I modified Cabal to avoid code duplication. I didn't know about the
> upcoming cabal-install release. I'm attaching a new patch bundle that
> doesn't modify Cabal. (These supersede the last set of patches I
> sent.) The only difference is a small change in
> Distribution.Client.Types.

I just realized that there's a glaring problem with automatically
running tests: if you call '--enable-tests' on a package that doesn't
have tests, this gets interpreted as an error. It's an easy fix, but
it will _require_ modifying Cabal. So, we probably want to pass on the
'automatically run tests' patch in the next version of cabal-install.

I think this is probably OK. The other patches (which are really a bug
fix) can still go in. Running tests automatically is an added feature,
so I don't think it will bug people too much if it's delayed until the
next release of Cabal.

--
Thomas Tuegel