hackage-server memory requirements

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:46:09 CEST 2011

On 26 October 2011 00:18, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I could run a sync on my 4GB laptop in the background tomorrow and do
> a heap profile. I do expect to kill it half way since I also have to
> get other stuff done.

I did a quick heap profile using -hy:

http://code.haskell.org/~basvandijk/hackage-server.hp

View it using hp2any-manager (it seems hp2ps only shows one part of
the profile).

I killed hackage-mirror and hackage-server when the resident memory of
hackage-server was over 1GB. At that time it was uploading packages
beginning with 'b' (so there were still a lot to come).

According to the profile most space is used by ARR_WORDS (which is the
internal name for a ByteArray# if I remember correctly).

Bas