cabal bench implemented

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:52:26 CEST 2011

Hi Simon,

Thanks for trying it out and thanks for the patch. I've pushed it to HEAD.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Simon Meier <iridcode at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two open questions:
>
> * Is the >= 1.9.2 interface the right interface? From the changelog, I
> would assume that it is already public and contains the test-suite
> support only.

Good question. You could either be asking

* what's the earliest version of Cabal that doesn't blow up when it sees a
benchmark sections, or
* what's the earliest version of Cabal that can actually make use of the
benchmark section.

Duncan, which one should be report in the guide? Seems like the latter.

* It would be cool to have a 'cabal bench' command that builds and
> executes the benchmarks.

There already is one, I just haven't documented it yet. It works just like
'cabal test'. Example:

    cabal configure --enable-benchmarks
    cabal build
    cabal bench

See 'cabal help bench' for a list of flags. Right now 'cabal bench' and
'cabal test' won't build the benchmarks/tests if they're not up to date. I
don't quite remember the reason. I think it was technical. Duncan? Thomas?

Cheers,
Johan