[Hackage] #742: build-depends are unexpectedly global prior to Cabal-1.8 (needs documenting) (was: build-depends in Executable sections are unexpectedly global)

Hackage cvs-ghc at haskell.org
Sat Sep 25 11:14:03 EDT 2010

#742: build-depends are unexpectedly global prior to Cabal-1.8 (needs
documenting)
  Reporter:  benmachine     |        Owner:
      Type:  defect         |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:  HEAD
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  unknown        |   Ghcversion:
  Platform:                 |

Comment(by duncan):

 Yes this was the old behaviour and it was not intentional. Because
 changing the behaviour would have broken old packages we made the change
 so that it only affects packages that declare themselves to follow a
 recent version of the Cabal spec, that is if you write:
 {{{
 cabal-version: >=1.8
 }}}
 then you'll get the new sensible behaviour.

 I'm not sure that this is actually documented anywhere. Would you like to
 send in a patch for the user guide? It's in the Cabal repo in simple
 markdown format.

--
Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/742#comment:1>
Hackage <http://haskell.org/cabal/>