Major installation failure and impossible to post to cabal-devel

Mats Ahlgren mats.ahlgren at gmail.com
Thu May 20 22:00:02 EDT 2010

Hello,

It took me about 3 hours and 7 attempts to post to this list, or any
similar mailing list. It seems after much sleuthing that my
registration did not go through (despite clicking on the confirmation
button on the confirmation link page), and the error message did not
indicate that. I would highly recommend saying instead of "Error: You
can't post" to instead say "Error: You don't seem subscribed to this
list. Please try re-subscribing and making sure you click the
confirmation button in the confirmation link page. If that fails, try
again.". I would also recommend having people actually subscribed to
cabal-devel-owner.

Additionally http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/register does not
really work -- it requires that you provide a username and password
*in order to register* with the username and password. If you fill out
this form, you will see a basic http auth popup appear, preventing you
from registering.

This basically means that people cannot contact the cabal-devel
community, nor the libraries at haskell.org community -- in any way
whatsoever.

If there is some sort of emergency-contact IRC channel, it may be a
good idea to link to it on Trac and the Cabal webpage.

My actual messages are below.