Missing modules

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 6 05:28:17 EDT 2010

Dear Cabal developers

If you look at http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3951 you'll see an example of a very confusing link-time error message.  The ultimate cause was that a package author omitted one of the modules when listing the package manifest (in exposed and hidden modules).

But there is no error when building the package -- the error only shows up when linking a complete application that uses the package.

This is obviously bad.  When Cabal builds the package, we should clearly check that no modules are omitted.

You probably have a ticket on this already, but I thought I'd mention it.

Simon