[Hackage] #320: cooperation with Windows Vista's User Access Control

Hackage trac at galois.com
Wed Mar 4 07:26:06 EST 2009

#320: cooperation with Windows Vista's User Access Control
  Reporter:  Toxaris        |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  new
Ghcversion:  6.8.2          |     Platform:  Windows
Comment (by duncan):

 Replying to [comment:7 br1]:
 > FWIW, I asked Microsoft:

 Heh, thanks.

 > I'm not familiar with the tool or how it works. If you're creating a
 pure per-user application, then simply writing the files to a per-user
 location is sufficient.

 I'm sure this is the most sensible default (#465). It's not clear if there
 is any default per-user location that we should use. I think currently for
 `--user` installs on Windows we use the per-user app-data area, which I
 think is mainly intended for data files rather than programs.

 I looked up per-user installs with MSI
 but it's not clear that there is any per-user area for program files. The
 program files directory seems to be only globally shared.

 > I generally advise not trying to replicate the !AccessCheck logic and
 elevate accordingly - it's too easy to get that wrong. Rather, just factor
 the application, and always elevate or never elevate (if it's per-user).

 This also sounds very sensible.

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/320#comment:8>