[Hackage] #199: when installing a new version of GHC, there should be a way to upgrade my packages

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sat Jul 18 12:23:41 EDT 2009

#199: when installing a new version of GHC, there should be a way to upgrade my
packages
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  guest               |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement         |       Status:  new
Ghcversion:  6.8.2               |     Platform:  Linux
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
Comment (by thaldyron):

 The new patch (see attachment) adds world-file support for the 0.7 HEAD
 branch.
 Whenever you install a package, an entry is added to the world-file,
 storing the specified package-name, package-version, and user flags.
 For example, the entry generated by
 {{{
 # cabal install stm-io-hooks --flags="-debug"
 }}}
 looks like this:

 {{{
 stm-io-hooks -any --flags="-debug"
 }}}
 The requires dependencies of a packge, however, are not recorded in the
 world file, only the packages explicitly requested by the user.

 To rebuild all previously installed packages (e.g. on updating GHC),
 use
 {{{
 # cabal install world
 }}}

 The previous version of this patch supported the "cabal upgrade world"
 command, which is now disabled until "cabal upgrade" is fixed.

--
Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/199#comment:10>
Hackage <http://haskell.org/cabal/>