nice new hackage urls

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:00:21 EDT 2009

> I now realise we need a bit more :-)
>
> So the issue is that we'd like to be able to specify a server by a
> single URL and be able to find everything else relative to that. Ideally
> we would do that by some discovery mechanism rather than hard coding
> relative URLs into the clients, but in the mean time...

>From what you've said my imagination makes me think of a page at
$URL/jumptable that gives a list of hard coded services and their
location on the server.  For example, $URL/jumptable might return:

----------------------
package     package/$pkg
index          packages/00-index.tar.gz
upload        upload/
check         check/
accounts     account/

Is this the discovery mechanism you had in mind?  It allows server(s)
to move things around and cabal-install like tools to learn about the
locations dynamically - basically replacing the N hard coded URLs with
one and requiring some parsing.

Perhaps you have thought of something more elegant?

Thomas