cabal-install fails on WinXP

Alistair Bayley alistair at
Mon Apr 20 04:25:03 EDT 2009

2009/4/16 Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at>:
> Try:
> cabal fetch binary -v3
> It should give you plenty of detail on the HTTP conversation. Could you
> also file a ticket pointing out how useless the default error message is
> when the download fails. We should at least tell the user the HTTP error
> code.

fetch -v3 output below. Seems to be trying to use a proxy, but that's
not necessary as the machine is "directly" connected (via a router).

C:\bayleya\haskell>cabal fetch binary -v3
Reading installed packages...
Reading available packages...
Warning: The package list for '' is 16 days old.
Run 'cabal update' to get the latest list of available packages.
Resolving dependencies...
selecting binary-0.4.4 (hackage) and discarding binary-0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.4.1,
0.4.2, 0.4.3 and
selecting bytestring- (installed or hackage) and discarding
selecting ghc-prim- (installed)
selecting rts-1.0 (installed)
selecting containers- (installed or hackage) and discarding
containers- and
selecting array- (installed or hackage) and discarding array-
selecting syb- (installed or hackage)
selecting base- (installed) and (installed) and discarding
selecting integer- (installed)
Downloading binary-0.4.4...
GET /packages/archive/binary/0.4.4/binary-0.4.4.tar.gz HTTP/1.1
proxy uri host:, port: :6080
Creating new connection to
cabal: getHostByName: does not exist (no such host entry)