darcs patch: Search target bindir for dependencies in addition to $...

Stephen Hicks sdh33 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 7 01:40:14 EDT 2008

Hi,

I found it frustrating when first using Cabal a couple weeks ago that
it kept seeming to want to install alex, even after it supposedly
*had* installed it.  Here's a patch that will allow Cabal to find any
dependencies that it installed into non-$PATH directories, so that it
won't just loop forever, rebuilding and reinstalling the same things
over and over again.

I'm sending another patch (in a subsequent message) for cabal-install
that will emit a warning whenever it installs a binary without a
symlink into a directory outside the current search path.  Hopefully
together (or apart) these will help make Cabal more user-friendly.

-steve

Sun Oct  5 21:03:07 EDT 2008  Stephen Hicks <sdh33 at cornell.edu>
  * Search target bindir for dependencies in addition to $PATH.
  I added an extra field to the ProgramConfiguration structure to keep
  track of any extra paths we'd like to check that may not be in the
  system search path, such as the default (user) bindir for cabal-install.
  Now the default behavior isn't quite as important, since at least the
  builds won't fail (users may still wonder where their binaries are, so
  it should still be addressed).