[Hackage] #53: if cabal get update needs to run, say so

Hackage trac at galois.com
Sat Jan 12 13:04:07 EST 2008

#53: if cabal get update needs to run, say so
  Reporter:  ijones              |        Owner:  ijones
      Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed
Ghcversion:  6.2.1               |     Platform:  Linux
Changes (by duncan):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

 We currently get:

 $ cabal install cabal-upload
 Warning: The package list does not exist. Run 'cabal update' to download
 cabal: Unresolved dependencies: cabal-upload -any

 I misunderstood the request. The original request was just to say when the
 package list is missing. I interpreted it as knowing to update the package
 list based on a request to install something that was on the server but
 not in the current package list, which is rather harder.

 So closing this one as it's fixed. Though we could probably do better, it
 should be an error straight off rather than a warning followed by another

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/53#comment:7>