Disable optimization

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 05:54:12 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 04:39 +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> This could be achieved by shipping Cabal with a default settings file.
> It's however difficult to add new default options in a later update installation.

Sure, cabal-install has a config file which contains defaults. Currently
it only has a subset of configure options but we intend to make it cover
the full range, so it would be possible to disable optimisation
globally.

If you want to help with that it's ticket #223:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/223

Though as I said, that's probably not what we really want. Normally we
do want to optimise when installing some package but not optimise while
we're hacking on some bit of code.

Perhaps "$ cabal install" should turn on optimisation but "$ cabal
configure" should not. Would that make sense? What do people suggest?