[Hackage] #244: Add Changelog summary feature to sdist

Hackage trac at galois.com
Wed Feb 20 20:20:49 EST 2008

#244: Add Changelog summary feature to sdist
  Reporter:  guest          |        Owner:
      Type:  enhancement    |       Status:  new
 Component:  Cabal library  |      Version:
  Severity:  normal         |     Keywords:
Difficulty:  normal         |   Ghcversion:  6.8.2
  Platform:                 |
 In a discussion with Audrey Tang, she mentioned that a very nice feature
 of CPAN which she missed in Hackage was standardized changes files.

 It seems to me that one way to acheive this would be to add a --changelog
 flag to sdist (or maybe make default). This call 'darcs changes' and copy
 into the ChangeLog everything up to 2 tags ago. (2 tags because the first
 tag might be you preparing for a release). I'd imagine parsing would be
 dead easy: 'lines' to split it up into individual entries, and then take
 until you hit a 'tagged' entry. If the resulting list is length of 1, then
 take again.

 So you'd go 'runhaskell Setup sdist --changelog', and ChangeLog in the
 tarball would have, say, for Monadius:

 Wed Feb 20 18:37:42 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
  tagged 0.91

 Wed Feb 20 18:37:29 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
  * misc improvements: newtype, cabal, fmt

 Fri Dec  7 16:23:53 EST 2007  gwern0 at gmail.com
  * rm extra source-files
  The line was originally there because there is an icon for Monadius in
 the source-files and some sort of Windows resource text file telling
 Windows to use it; I'm removing the mention of them in the .cabal because
 I don't think Cabal handles that right now.

 Thu Dec  6 16:30:31 EST 2007  gwern0 at gmail.com
  * whitespace changes, add haskell98 to dependencies

 Tue Dec  4 13:46:38 EST 2007  gwern0 at gmail.com
  * mv cabal field so hackage doesn't complain

 Tue Dec  4 13:10:47 EST 2007  gwern0 at gmail.com
  * cabal fixes

 Tue Dec  4 08:32:25 EST 2007  gwern0 at gmail.com
  tagged 0.91

 At this point, Hackage could be updated to link to it in the same way as
 it does for the .cabal file. That way, people could then easily take a
 look and see what's new since the last version. (Said facility is
 currently a little difficult unless the package authors manually maintain
 a ChangeLog and specifically include it into the tarball; you'd still have
 to either go to the repo or download the tarball simply to find out what's
 different from the older packages.)

Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/244>