Disable optimization

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Feb 20 11:16:22 EST 2008

  I have upgraded to Cabal 1.2 while still using GHC-6.4.1. In the Haskore
project there is the module NewResolutions.lhs which let GHC run into
extensive swapping (certainly due to excessive memory consumption) on
compilation when compiled with optimization. One can say, it cannot be
compiled this way. This is clearly a compiler bug, but upgrading the
compiler is not an option here. Thus I used unoptimized compilation so
far. Now, Cabal 1.2 seems to have optimization set by default. While it
was easy to add optimization by using 'GHC-Options' field it is not
obvious how to override Cabal defaults.
  I don't think it was a good idea to switch on optimization silently from
one Cabal version to another one. It would have been better to let people
configure Cabal globally and manually to use optimization.