Licence: ../LICENCE

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 25 04:17:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 11:24 +0700, Peter Gammie wrote:
> On 25/04/2008, at 12:49 AM, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 19:32 +0700, Peter Gammie wrote:
> >> Does this work?
> >
> > The LICENCE file would actually have to exist at ../ relative to the
> > location of the .cabal file.
>
> It does, that's what gets copied to the wrong place.
>
> > sdist would fail of course since no files to go into the tarball can
> > lie
> > outside of the project directory.
>
> I don't use sdist.

You should! :-) it make just the right tarballs for you to upload to
hackage.

> >> On install, I think Cabal copies it to the parent of the correct
> >> directory.
> >
> > Right, it'd copy it to $distdir/../LICENCE
>
> Yes, that's what I'm worried about.
>
> This semantics seems wrong to me; the licence is a file, nothing more.
> I feel you should copy it like so (excuse my UNIX):
>
> cp $LICENCE $DEST_DIR/`basename $LICENCE`
>
> ... but feel free to do whatever makes the most sense to you, of course.

I think you're right.

Of course we still have the problem that it doesn't work for sdist
tarballs.

license: foobar/LICENCE

would be ok because that remains inside the tarball, but not

license: ../LICENCE

We'd actually have to modify the .cabal file to change this field on
making a tarball if we wanted to make this work.

> >> I use this short hand so I don't have 10 BSD3's lying around.
> >
> > I would not recommend doing this. Use a symlink instead.
>
> I'd love to, but darcs doesn't understand symlinks. So I guess I'm
> back to having 10 BSD3's.
>
> BTW this is an idiom I inherited from Herr Bringert, who might now
> want to adjust his many .cabals...

oh right :-)