Cabal bugs/oddities

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at
Thu Apr 3 09:04:24 EDT 2008

All these bugs are against the homeomorphic library I have written. To
play along, you can do

darcs get --partial

Bug 1:
cabal install worked the first time, running it a second time fails.

$ cabal install
.. works..
$ cabal install
.. configuring ...
setupWrapper in Nothing :
Preprocessing library homeomorphic-0.1...
Building homeomorphic-0.1...
E:\ghc\ghc-6.8.2\bin\ar.exe: creating dist\build\libHShomeomorphic-0.1.a
setupWrapper in Nothing :
homeomorphic-0.1 failed during the final install step.

Bug 2: cabal haddock fails

$ cabal haddock
Preprocessing library homeomorphic-0.1...
Running Haddock for homeomorphic-0.1...
Warning: The documentation for the following packages are not installed.
No links will be generated to these packages: base-,
QuickCheck-, mtl-, containers-

     Include/Hash.hs: No such file or directory

This one may well be my fault, if some extra magic is required for the
haddock with CPP, but not the building - but that seems weird, if
there is enough info to build the file, surely there is enough info to
haddock it

Bug 3:
Cabal upload doesn't work:

$ cabal upload
Username: ...
Password: ....

Not even a "goodbye and thanks for your password, I'm off to raid your
paypal". It should certainly say something

$ cabal upload dist
E:\Neil\homeomorphic>cabal upload dist\homeomorphic-0.1.tar.gz
Hackage username: NeilMitchell
Hackage password: yoda
Uploading dist\homeomorphic-0.1.tar.gz...
ERROR: dist\homeomorphic-0.1.tar.gz: 400 Error in upload

400 error in upload - not the worlds most helpful error message...

Bug 4:

Cabal upload asks for your password in plain text. That one is
security related - you are asking for someones password, and giving
the appearance that you aren't overly fussed about keeping it secret.