Test Cases for Configurations

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 14 13:27:57 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 11:18 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Thomas Schilling wrote:
>
> > it's still a little work to do, but I think I'll be able to try and use
> > Cabal configurations some time next week.  Do you guys have any ideas
> > what we could use as a good test case?
> >
> > The goal is to find out how well the current scheme applies to actual
> > use cases (and if there are serious performance problems to await).
>
> Some suggestions:
>
>   - the base package has a lot of goop in its Setup script, I really hope
>     that all, or at least most, of it can be done using configurations
>
>   - we have a few packages that want to do conditional dependencies.  e.g.
>     HGL wants to depend on either Win32 or X11.
>
>   - IIRC, gtk2hs has a complex structure that will need a lot of conditional
>     stuff in its .cabal file.  Duncan will tell you more.

Unfortunately there's still a lot of work before Gtk2Hs is ready to be
cabalised. Cabal configurations is a major piece of the puzzle though.
But sadly there are too many other bits before Gtk2Hs would be a
suitable test case for configurations.

A cut down model of Gtk2Hs might work though, ie a bunch of .cabal files
modelling the various bits of Gtk2Hs, just without any of the actual
source code.

>   - take a look at the old discussion on libraries at haskell.org; there were
>     lots of use cases discussed there.

Many related to fps/bytestring being included in the base package or
not.