[Haskell-cafe] RE: Definition of the Haskell standard library

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 31 13:39:56 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 17:26 +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> | I see it as a really big deal that documentation becomes fragmented when
> | one is using many packages, so that it's harder to find what you want.
> | In fact, I'd classify that as the single biggest reason that I don't use
> | many packages now
>
> When you install packages A,B,C, the documentation for A,B,C (and
> nothing else) ought to be locally available as an integrated whole,
> much as at the GHC web site.  I don't know whether Cabal does, or
> could do, that, but it's surely what one would expect.

The docs for those packages would be available for packages installed
via cabal (assuming the user did the optional haddock step) and would
link to each other.

What is missing from the local docs is a single integrated index page
that lists all the modules and then links off to the various packages's
docs like we have on the ghc website.

The problem with generating one of those is what manages it? What
package would it belong to etc.

On some systems (windows, gnome) there are dedicated help viewers that
can help with this contents/index issue. haddock supports both (mshelp,
devhelp). I'm not sure everyone would find that a sufficient solution
however.