pkg-config support

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 24 06:42:50 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 11:28 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
>
> > It'd be very convenient to be able to just say:
> >
> > pkg-config-depends: dbus-1 >= 0.60
>
> The idea seems reasonable to me... just one question: what happens on
> Windows?

pkg-config works on Windows. That's how we're able to build Gtk2Hs on
Windows; because the Gtk+ SDK for Win32 comes with pkg-config and the
appropriate '.pc' files for each C lib.

So, yes I can imagine a future Cabalised Gtk2Hs that can build from
source on Win32 without needing MSYS for make, bash etc.

Of course it's mostly Unixy software that uses pkg-config, but when such
software is ported to Windows it usually still uses pkg-config.