install doesn't install under Windows

Esa Ilari Vuokko eivuokko at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 18:30:35 EDT 2006

Hi Isaac, Neil,

Here's my experiences.  I don't have a real opinion about what is the
best solution.

On 8/21/06, Isaac Jones <ijones at syntaxpolice.org> wrote:
> I have no idea what the advantages or disadvantages are; can you
> expand on this?  Option 1 sounds like it makes sense.  By use of the
> Program abstraction (see other email) perhaps we don't have to use
> PATH if there's some standard location we can check.
>
> What's "normal" on windows for an installer?

First, in my experience, there is no "normal" here.  Here's few popular
options.

For well-known programs, registry keys.  HKCU/Programs/Foo/InstallDir=c:\Foo
or something like that (exact path is something a bit more complex)

Visual studio adds environment variable like:
VS80COMNTOOLS=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools\
which is easy to expand to right directories if you know the way toolset
if organised.  It is a great idea, to certain extent.  It's maybe right way for
compilers, but for other programs like alex...it might be confusing.

Most typical (devel) programs require user to do path manipulation, or
offer to add
their installation directory in PATH.  I find the automatic addition to PATH
disgusting for devel environment, it tends to lend a hand for lazy devels that
then forget what they need, which easily results in non-reproducible
environment.

Best regards,
--Esa