darcs patch: Export all the modules packge.conf.in

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Sun Aug 20 17:28:03 EDT 2006

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 00:47 +0300, Esa Ilari Vuokko wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently ran into issue I couldn't use Compat.FilePatch with Cabal built
>> in GHC build-tree (ie using Makefiles)
>>
>> Fri Aug 18 00:27:20 FLE Standard Time 2006  Esa Ilari Vuokko <ei at vuokko.info>
>>   * Export all the modules package.conf.in
>>
>> This simple patch just exports all the modules even when building with
>> makefiles, just like we do in Cabal.cabal
>
> Hmm, I expect it ought to be the other way around, that we should always
> hide the internal and compat modules.
>
> Did you really need Cabal's FilePath? How about using Neils new improved
> stand alone version.
>
> Isaac: what do you think?

I'm OK with exporting the module, but I think it's best not to.  That
module is there so that cabal can use it internally.  If everyone
starts to use it, then we start to get spurious dependencies on cabal;
once we remove that module, other people's code will break for no good
reason.  Best to just admit that you're using a non-standard module
and use the standalone version.

I know it's very temping to use it, though.  It's a great module :)

If you're building something that's going to be internal to cabal
anyway, then it doesn't matter if it's exposed.  If it's something
like cabal-get that's pseudo-internal, then I guess we should expose
it to avoid the external dependency.  In such a case, it's not
spurious to depend on cabal, since they are actually a part of the
same code tree.

peace,

  isaac