[C2hs] License for the c2hs manual

Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva marcot at debian.org
Sun Feb 14 20:24:37 EST 2010

Hi Manuel.

Excerpts from Manuel M T Chakravarty's message of Dom Fev 14 22:38:12 -0200 2010:
(...)
> > I notice that the c2hs manual from c2hs-0.16.0 is licensed under GFDL, which is
> > not free according to the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  I'd like to ask the
> > c2hs developers to distribute the manual under a license that is compatible
> > with DFSG, otherwise we'll have the following alternatives:
> >
> > * Move the c2hs to the non-free area of the archive.
> > * Remove the manual from the c2hs package, possibly creating a package
> >  containing the manual in the non-free area.
> >
> > Is the license change possible?
>
> How about CC-BY-SA?
(...)
> Is that ok for Debian?

Yes for CC-BY-SA 3.0[1], no for CC-BY-SA 2.5[2].

> I believe that I still hold the sole copyright of the c2hs manual and I'm
> happy to relicense it under the CC-BY-SA if that would solve your problem.

This thread continued in debian-haskell without replying to here too (sorry
about that).  As noticed in [3], this change is not needed, but still
encouraged.  So, if you could do this, it would be great, but it's not
necessary.

Greetings.

1:
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#CreativeCommonsAttributionShare-Alike.28CC-BY-SA.29v3.0