[C2hs] Re: [Gtk2hs-devel] hsffig & c2hs

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 7 08:06:02 EDT 2005

I think, this should be easy to solve fairly soon.  The next feature
that I want to add to c2hs is support for cross compilation.  (Tony
Sloane needs this to produces bindings for Palm OS.)  My plan is this:

* By default, c2hs will use the conventions re bitfields as those of
  the C compiler used to compile the .c files in c2hs' source tree.

* There will be a command line option that permits to override that
  choice and to explicitly specify the platform for which bindings are
  generated.  C2hs will have a database of platforms it knows about and
  all we need to do is to ensure that Visual-C gets an entry in that
  database.

> >From the internal gcc docs:
>
> ...following the rules of Microsoft Visual C/C++, namely: (i) a bit-
> field won't share the same storage unit with the previous bit-field if
> their underlying types have different sizes, and the bit-field will be
> aligned to the highest alignment of the underlying types of itself and
> of the previous bit-field; (ii) a zero-sized bit-field will affect the
> alignment of the whole enclosing structure, even if it is unnamed;
> except that (iii) a zero-sized bit-field will be disregarded unless it
> follows another bit-field of nonzero size.
>
> In other words: it's a bit complicated.

All I need is a for somebody to compile and run the attached C functions
in Visual C and let me know the results.

Will that not solve the issue?

Manuel