[Haskell-beginners] Count with Writer asynchronously

Baa aquagnu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 10:29:04 UTC 2017

Hello, Michael! This answers to my question completely, thank you so
much!

But looking at this code, I thought: how is it right to wrap/unwrap
write monad? In languages like C or Python we can pass input/output
argument (`int*` in C or `[0]` in Python) and use it as some
accumulator. But here writer monad is not using as accumulator,
accumulating (summation) happens in `mconcat`, right? It's using only
as output value, i.e. place to "yield" result. I mean `w` is 0, each
call of `runIt` sets there 1, after all calls we calculate sum of this
1's. And instead of `censor (+1) w` I can do `tell 1` only.

It means that `runIt` can return not `IO ()` but `IO Int` and results
of all `runIt`'s asynchnronously gotten values can be accumulated with
`mconcat` without using of writer monad. Am I right, writer monad here
is not accumulator but only output value (like output arguments in
C/C++/IDL/etc)? How is this a typical solution in Haskell - to use
writer monad with wrap/unwrap multiple times, only to save output
value?