[Haskell-beginners] foldr with short circuit and accumulator

Chul-Woong Yang cwyang at aranetworks.com
Wed Feb 3 01:23:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I've done zip'ing in those kinds of problem, also.
I think it'd be better if we can do it without zip'ing, with folding only.

With help of KwangYul Seo, I know now that short-circuiting with fold
is possible,
and I made ssfold version of findAdjacent:

-- Spencer Janssen's ssfold, from haskell-cafe
ssfold p f a0 xs = foldr (\x xs a -> if p a then a else xs (f a x)) id xs a0

findAdjacent :: [Int] -> Maybe Int
findAdjacent = snd . ssfold (uncurry const) step (False, Nothing)
  where step acc@(True, _) _ = acc
        step (False, last) x = (if Just x == last then True else False, Just x)

findAdjacent $ [1..10000] ++ [10000..]
  ==> 10000

It might be overkill for finding adjacent entry. It's better to use zip'ing.
But I think ssfold can be useful in other cases.

Any comments will be welcomed.

Regards,

Chul-Woong