[Haskell-beginners] Could anyone explain what this means? (Haskell wiki entry on monads)

umptious umptious at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 19:47:43 UTC 2016

>>Each monad, or computation type<<

That seems to be saying that monad and "computation type" are synonyms. But
surely this is just bad writing? A monad is a CT, but a CT doesn't have to
be a monad? And what is the point of adding the verbiage of "computation
type" in what will be a massive sentence anyway?

>>provides means, subject to *Monad Laws*,<<

I think it's expected that monads will follow monad laws and provide means
to do something..

>>> to *(a)* *create* a description of computation action that will produce
(a.k.a. "return") a given Haskell value<<<

This is just bizarre. The monad can create a description of a computation
action? What does that mean - a comment is a description - does it mean
that? And does it mean the description will do the returning or that the
computation action will? And why say "means" instead of something more
specific and meaningful (for example, I'm guessing the means might be a
function..)