[Haskell-beginners] Why is the type constraint different from signature?

David McBride toad3k at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:08:23 UTC 2016

>:t f
f :: (Num b, Ord a) => a -> b -> a

a is an instance of Ord
b is an instance of Num

>:t 1
1 :: Num a => a
>:t f 1
f 1 :: (Num a, Num b, Ord a) => b -> a

the literal 1 is an instance of Num, therefore
a must be an instance of Ord but now also of Num

What we know about a is that it must be a Num (because we assigned it the
literal 1 which is a Num) and that it must also be an Ord (because your
original type signature specified that it must also be an Ord).