[Haskell-beginners] ghci: inconsistent return values for succ

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Mon Oct 19 05:05:12 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Frothy Bits <neuralpancake at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is the behavior I'm seeing actually related to a bug in parsec?

If you're interested in digging deeper, I'd say look at the output, not the
input end. Almost certainly the machine floating-point double for 3.14 and
(3.14+1.0) are identical across ghc, C, and python.

What's not identical is how different languages choose to display 4.14.

C and python do some display rounding so you don't see the issue. The
display algorithm in Haskell probably goes for the simple, naive approach.

-- Kim-Ee