[Haskell-beginners] ghci: inconsistent return values for succ

Frothy Bits neuralpancake at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 04:14:57 UTC 2015

@ Kostiantyn: Thank you again for the links to Decimal and Data.Fixed
@ Iustin: You're absolutely correct, I was abusing succ.  I blame myself.
@ Rein: Thank you, I'd previously shared the goldberg paper; it's
illuminating.

Fwiw, prior to adventures with succ, I'd noticed that simple operations on
certain simple real numbers would give "exciting" results. (Undoubtedly, I
should have just gone with that instead of posting about succ; apologies
again for confusing Iustin.)

ghci> map (+ 0.01)[0.01,0.02 .. 1.00]

for example, gave me a nice list of visually stimulating values for the
reasons Rein and Kostiantyn pointed out.  With succ, I wondered what I
would see if I did something "wrong."  My assumption was that it would
flail and give me an error message, something along the lines of "Fool,
that is not the proper way to succ.  Go play with natural numbers." That
I'd get occasionally expected values with either the above or succ
was.....peculiar,  until reading Kostiantyn's replies and finding and
reading the Goldberg paper, not to mention having a "Forth moment" and
remembering scaled integer......

I (foolishly or not) made the assumption that Haskell would do something
different with floats "out of the box."  I do realize the same issues are
inherent in other languages, but I wondered if it might be "smart,"
recognize I was calculating with real numbers and automagically either load
what I needed or point me in that direction.  That said, I really
appreciate Rein's reply and recognize that picking Double for the extended
default rules is "a good choice."

Anyway, after loading Data.Fixed, this produces reasonable output:

ghci> map (+ (0.01 :: Fixed E2)) [0.01,0.02 .. 1.01]

Back to reading and learning by cutting myself.  Thanks again all.