[Haskell-beginners] Can't install Haskell platform on Mac OS X El Capitan

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Oct 12 11:21:00 UTC 2015

Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 6:08 AM, Yury Pachin <yuriy.pachin at gmail.com
> <mailto:yuriy.pachin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Haskell platform - bad idea.
>

> Someone will have to explain to me why when the whole Haskell community
> considers cabal-install and the Platform --- supposedly *from* the
> community --- to be the works of the devil, you all haven't set out to
> rid the world of the evil incarnate that created them.

Since it was my message that started that discussion on this thread, let
me hasten to assure you that I don't hate the Platform. I still think it
is good for users to know it's not the only game in town, however.

Yes, I have had some difficulties with it, and it got a bit worse with
El Capitan, but I really don't know to what extent that is just the
usual beginner's trouble. After I switched to Haskell for Mac [sic] OS
X, I have not had any trouble (*). But then I haven't used it as much as
I used the Platform before, so I really cannot say which, if any of
them, is superior.

(*) Well, almost none: cabal-install failed on hledger because it wants
pretty-show, and pretty-show wants happy, and somehow happy did not get
built. Just running cabal-install happy fixed the problem. I'd report
this as a bug if I knew where to report it. But I expect this sort of
problem is unrelated to the Platform versus alternatives debate.

– Harald